In this world of technology, data protection requires close attention. Encryption software ensures the security and confidentiality of sensitive data. In this article, we will analyze the best encryption tools.
What is encryption?
Encryption is a technical process by which information is converted into secret code, masking the data you send, receive or store. In essence, this algorithm is used to encrypt data that the recipient can decrypt using a decryption key. An encrypted message contained in unencrypted files is called plain text, and a message in encrypted form is called encrypted text.
Think about how much important information is stored in your company’s files, folders, and devices. Now imagine what would happen if this information fell into the wrong hands. You probably have a large amount of data that you need to restrict: from your employees’ personal information (such as their addresses, social security numbers, tax codes, etc.) to your company’s financial information and bank account details. Encryption is one of the best ways to protect your company’s sensitive data from cybersecurity threats.
It is also worth noting that encryption plays an important role in ensuring security when browsing the web. Many websites use Secure Sockets Protocol (SSL), which encrypts data sent to and received from a website, preventing hackers from accessing the data during transmission. In recent years, however, SSL has replaced the standard TLS (Transport Layer) encryption protocol used to authenticate website originators and secure HTTP requests and responses.
Top 5 encryption software
There are the most preferred options:
- AxCrypt is a simple file and folder encryption program. It will become an indispensable tool if you use the same computer with several people and want to keep your information confidential. In most cases, the key length is AES 128-bit, but if necessary, users can apply a higher level of encryption. AxCrypt automatically detects which cloud storage services are installed on your computer and creates an AxCrypt folder there.
- Steganos Privacy Suite combines the award-winning Steganos Safe data protection solution and the Steganos password manager and offers additional security features. Secure digital vault and password manager for data protection and privacy. Users can use the product to encrypt sensitive data, such as business reports, one-time passwords, or vacation photos, with simple, straightforward navigation – on the computer, in-network spaces, and the cloud.
- VeraCrypt is a free on-the-fly encryption tool, the fork of the proprietary open-source TrueCrypt project. The encryption methods are identical to Truecrypt: you can create individual containers and mount them as virtual disks while keeping the files encrypted. Having created a container using the wizard and mounted it as a disk, you can freely move files to the disk, while they will be encrypted. It can be used for USB flash drives. You can encrypt flash drives completely, or you can create a separate container on the media.
- Silver Key is an encryption tool designed to securely exchange data over the Internet. Ideal solution for secure data transfer. Silver Key encrypts sensitive data and creates an encrypted packet that can be transmitted over the Internet. Silver Key packages can be self-extracting, so the recipient does not need to install the program and decrypt the data.
- Fast File Encryptor is a simple program for fast file encryption and decryption. With its help, you can easily encrypt files and entire folders, as well as quickly decrypt them. A feature of the program is the fast processing of very large files. As an additional tool, the service includes a file shredder that can clean the contents of files before deleting them.